Liquid has just spilled on your computer. Stop! Take a deep breath. The next steps you take are critically important…
- IMMEDIATELY SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER and unplug its power cord or AC adapter. (On an Apple computer, you hold the power button down for five seconds.)
- If it’s a notebook, immediately remove the computer’s battery (if possible – some newer notebooks have non-removable batteries).
- Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.) and cables.
- Lay the computer on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out. If it’s a notebook, “tent” the computer upside down over a cloth towel or paper towels.
- Note what substance was spilled on your computer. This can affect what the service technicians will do to repair it.
- Bring your computer into Connecting Point SERVICE as soon as possible.
- IMPORTANT! DO NOT TURN THE COMPUTER BACK ON. Liquids can be excellent conductors, and will do their best to direct electricity into places it has no business going.
- Don’t shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
- Don’t use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).
Connecting Point’s Spill Cleaning Service
We charge our standard $29.99 system diagnosis for checking the computer and determining the extent of the spill damage. When you bring your computer in for a spill evaluation, we completely disassemble it and clean the affected parts. Then we reassemble the computer and test it to determine if any of the parts need to be replaced. A technician will then call you with the cost to replace any damaged parts; at that point you can choose to continue the repair or move onto a new machine.
We’ll give you the same frank advice we’d give a good friend; if it makes more sense to purchase a new system, we’ll let you know at this time.
Liquid Spill Cleaning FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Contact Connecting Point SERVICE for assistance.